Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Another event and another class!  This time the class was on the German Brick Stitch.  This particular style appeals to me because the patterns can be drawn out very geometrically.  For someone, like myself, who lacks the ability to sketch much of anything freehand, this is ideal.

In class, we started a small pouch project:

DSC_0099DSC_0101

I’m still working away at this one, in between all of my other projects and will update this again when I’ve finished it.

The Oxford Dictionary defines this as a term used on the Continent in the late 13th and 14th centuries to describe the sumptuous English embroidery of that period and all other embroidery in similar style.

Here’s a more visual explanation:

Feast 2010 022

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend a class on this technique that was offered at one of The Shire of River’s Bends Autumn Gatherings.

For this project, we used split stitch, stem stich and couching.  When finished, you are left with a beautiful piece of needle-art.

This past November, I began working on a new gown.  Originally it was planned to be my new gown for Twelfth Night.  Unfortunately, finances were against me and I was unable to attend.  The dress ended up on the back burner for a couple of months.  It came back to the front of the project list in time to be worn at a Demo Feast hosted by the Shire of River’s Bend.

Dress pics 005

Dress pics 007

And, here I am at Glymm Mere’s Mayfair a few weeks ago:

DSC_0087

It was certainly an experience assembling all of the components of this gown, but I think I’m just as glad that this is not my ‘usual’ time-period!

I took my first tablet weaving class at Kingdom A&S 2010.  And I was hooked.  Unfortunately, I did not have the appropriate loom for this type of weaving and it was another year before I did.  I dug deep to remember how to warp my loom and I had soon finished just over 3 yards of practice band.  This first one was done using 10 cards and a single color yarn (an acrylic blend of some kind).  It may have a future as garters…

DSC_0089

 

This past weekend at Grand Thing VI, I took two more weaving classes: Warp Weighted Weaving and Advanced Tablet Weaving.  Both classes (and the instructors) were amazing and very inspiring.

 

Below are some examples of the patterns that I’ve been trying my hand at from the Advanced Tablet Weaving class.  These were done using mercerized pearl cotton 5/2.

 

There is one more pattern in the packet – my ‘homework’.  It’s a very complex looking pattern that I plan to tackle later this week.

The past couple of weeks (and upcoming week and a half) have been spent busily working on a new outfit.  A Norse outfit – a little more time travel for me.  This one is for the upcoming Grand Thing V – a predominantly Norse event, so of course, one must look the part! 

Naturally, nothing is finished at this point…  Here are a couple of pictures to get you started:

The Chemise

The Apron Dress

and, my favorite part:

The Brooch

In addition to the Garb projects, I’m working on some new bedding for the tent.  It’s much closer to completion.  Below is the fabrics for the duvet cover.  There is also a pillowcase in the gold fabric.

camp bedding

More to come!

After much frantic sewing between mid-December and January 8th, the gown was complete!  There was, of course, the requisite drama along the way.  There are some things that I’m hoping to go back and re-do/fix (sleeves!!) at some point.  All this aside, it turned out great and I absolutely love this dress.

016

I’ve previously written about a lovely green gown that I had inherited.  Recently I began altering and re-vamping it.  The first step was to remove the beaded ribbon adorning the neckline.   Then I closed the back seam – the gown now goes on over the head rather than being laced up.   I also had to alter the front seam to bring the dress down to my size.

After trying it to check the adjustments, I decided that the enormous bell sleeves were too much for my liking.   Those seams were moved several inches in.  I also considered removing the train from the gown, but decided to leave it as is for now.  After I wear it for an evening, I may come back and, at the least, shorten it up some.

I’d picked up some beautiful cording woven with green velvet ribbon that I used to embellish the neck line and the hemlines on the sleeves.

012

And, here is it’s debut at Twelfth Night this year:

036

The train was a challenge, especially while dancing!  But, I think I’ll leave it as is for now!